Monday, August 21, 2017

Broken Promises by British Labour Government

The Singapore Press on the 6th May 1949, reported that Indian Government had made a "vigorous protest" to the British government over the Ganapathy's execution. It appeared that the British Government had broken its promise made to the High Commissioner of Indian in London, V.K Krishna Menon. The execution was carried out by the British Government without informing the High Commissioner of India on an investigation result with regards to Ganapathy's case.

PM Clement Atlee - Leader of Labour Party UK
The report also mentioned that the Indian Government Representative to Malaya, John Thivy, had several times visited Ganapathy. 
In Thivy's report, Ganapathy informed that he was hiding in the jungles for about nine months (since June 1948) which most of the time he was ill. He was not aware of the Emergency law on possession of arms. He was intended to surrender his revolver which was given to him for self-protection to the nearest police station.    
High Commissioner of India - V.K Menon

Those who read this article would wonder why the British wanted to get rid of Ganapathy in a hurry. Why the British government under the Labour Party, which acted very reasonable and just in dealing with trade unions and labour issues in UK, erred in this juncture? Who was pulling the string to get rid of Ganapathy and PMFTU?   

Singapore Free Press – 6th May 1949

New Delhi Note on Ganapathy


The Indian Government, which is making a “vigorous protest” today to the British Government over the Ganapathy hanging, announced here yesterday that it felt the penalty was excessive and that it deeply deplores his execution.”
Ganapathy, 24-year-old Indian president of Pan Malayan Federation of Trade Union was executed after having been found guilty and sentenced to death by Selangor court on changes of carrion a revolver and ammunition.

“Broke Promise”

From information now at the Indian Government’s disposal, the announcement said, it appeared that not only did representation made on behalf of the Indian Government to the authorities in Malaya to prove unworthy, but that the execution was carried out even before the High Commissioner for India in London had been informed of the results of an examination of the case by the British Government.

This “had been promised,” the Government announcement said.

The report of the Indian Government representative in Malaya. Mr. John Thivy, to the Indian Government is understood to contain statements made to him by Ganapathy, whom he saw several times in prison.

Ganapathy told him he committed no act of violence and said he was hiding in the jungles of Malaya for about nine months during most of which time when was ill.

He had no knowledge of the severity of the Malayan regulations. He left the jungle intending to surrender the revolver in his possession at the nearest police station he said. It had been given to him for self-protection.

When arrested while resting under a rubber trees Ganapathy told Mr Thivy he did not attempts to resist - Reuter  
Last known photograph of Ganapathy taken in Pudu Prison before execution 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jananayagam - 5th May 1945 - Ganapathy's Short History

Jananayagam (Democracy) published on the 5th May 1949 carried the life story of Ganapathy on its first page - "Thukkilidapatta Ganapath...